27 Apr Why You Should Partner with a Staffing Agency to Find a Nonprofit Job
Jobs at nonprofits are truly rewarding, it’s no surprise that nonprofits represent 10.2% of all jobs in the US (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics). Furthermore, Foundation jobs are the most sought after of all the jobs at nonprofit organizations and in the sector. As we dive into why you should partner with a staffing agency to find your next Nonprofit job below, let’s first set some parameters to better understand the world of nonprofits.
Understanding the Basics: Nonprofit vs Foundation
It is important to understand what a Foundation is. In the nonprofit sector, funds that the organizations raise can come from individuals, corporations, the state and federal government, and from Foundations.
A nonprofit organization is dedicated to furthering a particular social cause or advocating for a shared point of view or on behalf of a group or population. In financial terms, it is an organization using its revenues to further achieve its ultimate objective (which is called its mission), rather than distributing its income to the organization’s shareholders. Nonprofits are tax-exempt or charitable, meaning they do not pay income tax on the money that they receive for their organization. They can operate in social, health, community, religious, business, scientific, research, or educational settings.
Foundations are entities that give funds to impact a specific area, region, or mission. Foundations fund grants that nonprofits write and apply for. State and local governments also fund nonprofits grants. Foundations are institutions with donated funds that they hold and then invest over differing time periods. So, if you are going to work at a Foundation, chances are you would be applying to work at an organization that reviews grant proposals, funds grants, or seeks to impact an issue or help the world in an area or topic.
All foundations measure how many people they have helped via the funds they give to their nonprofit partners, called grantees. There are different types of Foundations: the main three types of foundation are: corporate, family, and community foundations. Knowing this will help you as you start your search and begin to narrow down what type of Nonprofit or Foundation you want to be a part of.
What You Need in Your Search
Applying and gaining employment at a nonprofit requires a background of expertise in the role you are applying for. Applying for jobs and or titles that you currently hold or have held will generally offer the best results. If you are changing departments or entering a new career in the nonprofit sector you will need to demonstrate clear and strong volunteer experiences as well as similar work activities to the position that you wish to land. Once you have the prior experience and/or volunteer experience, you should invest real time in writing a dynamic cover letter that explains why you are qualified for the exact role and responsibilities long term. When writing your letter, you’ll want to avoid the common mistake of speaking and or writing too much about the mission, and instead not concentrating on the work of the role you are applying for.
From the foundation’s perspective, all candidates are passionate about the mission, and thus they are looking for staff that wants to do the exact work of the role long term, share their values and also fit in with their culture.
Now that you’ve got a specific direction for your search in mind and a thorough cover letter, partnering with a staffing agency that specialized in nonprofit and Foundation recruitment can help your search immensely. Not only will that agency’s recruiters have strong relationships with the decision makers and hiring managers within Foundations and Organizations, but they will know how to help you put your best foot forward throughout the interviewing and hiring process.
Top Reasons You Should Partner with a Staffing Agency to find a Nonprofit Job
Here are some of the top reasons why partnering with a staffing agency is the best way to go about finding the nonprofit job you’ve been looking for!
- Access to exclusive job opportunities: Staffing agencies often have access to job opportunities that may not be posted publicly. Nonprofit organizations may choose to work with a staffing agency to find the best candidates for a particular role before advertising the job publicly. By partnering with a staffing agency, job seekers may be able to gain access to these exclusive job opportunities.
- Save time and effort: Searching for a nonprofit job can be time-consuming and hard in some aspects as compared to searching for a job with for-profit organizations. Partnering with a staffing agency can save job seekers time and effort by allowing them to focus on other aspects of their job search, such as preparing for interviews and networking.
- Expert guidance: Staffing agencies have a team of experts who understand the nonprofit sector and can provide job seekers with valuable guidance and support throughout the job search process. They can help with resume and cover letter writing, provide interview coaching, and offer advice on how to negotiate job offers.
- Expand your network: Working with a staffing agency can help job seekers expand their network and make connections in the nonprofit sector. Staffing agencies often work with a variety of nonprofit organizations, which can provide job seekers with exposure to different types of organizations and opportunities.
- Increase your chances of success: Staffing agencies have a deep understanding of the nonprofit sector and can help job seekers find roles that align with their skills and interests. By partnering with a staffing agency, job seekers can increase their chances of success and find a role that they are truly passionate about.
The Bottom Line
Starting your search in nonprofit work can be daunting but landing a position with an organization that are passionate about is truly rewarding. Whether you are just starting your search, or have targeted Organizations in mind, contact one of our well networked recruiters at Scion Nonprofit today to help jumpstart your search. With our vast network of connections and our ability to walk with you through the hiring process, you can feel secure in your job search! Contact us today to learn more.
About the Author
Patrick Chiotti (he/him) is an accomplished SEO writer and is currently the Marketing and Communications Specialist at Scion Staffing, bringing years of experience in SEO knowledge and a passion for writing to the Scion team. With additional experience in customer service roles, retail, and accounting, Patrick brings a unique set of knowledge and skills to his role while sharing the passion to continue learning about a wide range of topics so he can share his voice to a larger audience. Outside of Scion, Patrick spends his time as a football coach at the high school level and is passionate about teaching the game, while remaining a student to it. He is also a husband and father, and enjoys fitness, as well as a passion for cooking amazing food.